Monday, August 15, 2005

Illustration Friday - Wisdom

This week's Illustration Friday's topic was "Wisdom". At first, I had no idea what to do with it, then I began thinking of what I associate with wisdom. It was definitely something that was female for me. So I thought of goddesses and, ultimately, Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom; either a picture of the goddess herself or of her symbol, the owl. However, in the end I decided to go for my namesake, the sibyl, in this case the Sibyl of Cumae. I did incorporate Athena's owl in the picture (bottom right corner) as she seemed more relevant to me than Apollo who normally was associated with oracles of all kinds (especially, the one in Delphi). The person barely seen is a Roman soldier going to seek knowledge from the sibyl.

The Sybil's Cave

5 Comments:

Blogger carla said...

Very nice!!!! I love the soft blur. It makes it seem so mysterious. The owl is an excellent touch...there, but barely visible. Thanks for your fascinating explanation...the story of the Sybil of Cumae is wonderful, and it goes along with this week's topic in a variety of ways....especially as a cautionary tale about how to make a deal wisely! Beautiful work.

15/8/05  
Blogger carla said...

Hi Sybille,

Thanks for stopping by my blog! To answer your question...I started with a quick sketch which I scanned and then opened in Illustrator. I worked it back and forth between Illustrator and PhotoShop until I got what I wanted. I'm sure there's a more expedient way to do it, but I haven't figure it out yet. How did you do your illustration? It's so pretty!

15/8/05  
Blogger knottydon said...

wonderful colors... i got curious on her face though... i have no idea what her story is about =o(

15/8/05  
Blogger F L E E said...

like your illustration,
very mysterious!
See you on the next illustration friday!

Lee aka Salamander

16/8/05  
Blogger Gretel said...

Nicely eerie! Gives a great atmosphere. I would be very careful about any dealings with this lady...

17/8/05  

Post a Comment

<< Home