Thursday, November 03, 2005

Going Gorey - The Castle

I watched the Lemony Snicket film at the weekend - rather late, I know - however, I fell in love with the animations at the end and just had to find out who the animator was. It's in fact a UK company called Axiom. Check it out. Their stuff is really great.

Inspired by this, the film, and Halloween, I created the Castle image below.

  1. First, I made lots of patterns using a very limited colour range (greys, blues, and soft browns).
  2. Next, I made a sketch of the image and used layers to create vector shapes, which I turned into selections that I then filled with the patterns I had made.
  3. Lastly, I created highlights and darker areas and turned on the lights in the castle. :-)

All of it was done with Corel Painter(TM) - my favourite program in the world.


Here's a close-up of the castle that shows the patterns I used.


Lastly a bit of fun:

gashlycrumb
The GashlyCrumb Tinies - You have a terribly wicked
sense of humour and people are drawn to your
wit. Children beware of the thin, pale man
with the black umbrella!


Which Edward Gorey Book Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla

1 Comments:

Blogger Grangry said...

I like this very striking style.

18/11/05  

Post a Comment

<< Home